Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pay Day Splurge!

One of our favorite 'holidays' is coming up . . . pay day! Twice a month we get to celebrate the fact that we made it to our next pay period with a few bucks left and some extra money with which to splurge a bit.

Our treat is a pot roast! Any beef that makes it into our freezer usually gets cut up and made into stretched meals - you know, where the meat more scents the dish than is the meal? Hey, we don't suffer because I can be creative but it is nice to have a meat/meat dish. This evening is such a time!

I learned a trick to deepening the flavor of a pot roast and it is now a part of my usual preparation. After I brown the roast on all sides, I put in a cup of red wine, lots of onions/garlic, some beef bullion, and . . . trust me on this - a tablespoon of cranberries and 1/4 cup of coffee liquer. The finished product doesn't taste like the fruit/coffee combination but it add a flavorable depths that sets your pot roast a notch or two above the usual. You like to hear, "Wonderful! What did you do to the pot roast?" rather than, "This pot roast tastes funny. What did you put in it?"

Don't worry! The stretching part of the meal still remains because I save the leftover drippings and meat and it will appear in a soup or casserole before the next week is over!

No comments: