Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Delightful Surprise . . .


A friend from daily Mass is always sharing the produce from his trees. Over the years, we have enjoyed the lemons, tangerines, and oranges he has brought for us. Earlier this week, he gifted us with a bag of very pretty, solid, round oranges. Given their small than usual size, I figured the crop hadn't produced quite as well this year. Imagine my delighted surpise when I cut into one and discovered they were blood oranges!

The first time I saw a blood orange was while visiting a small, Greek village on a tour. It wasn't the usual tourist stop. Instead of the usual junk food and such, they had produce for sale. A friend got herself an orange it was quite a shock to all of us when she bit into it and suddenly had red liquid running down her chin! When I got home, I planted a tree of my own. I was very sad when we moved and I had to leave the tree behind.

The most fun was presenting my son with a fresh-squeezed glass of only it was not 'orange' juice but 'red' juice. He said it was very odd to look at the juice while he drank, see red but taste orange.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: