Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Day Before Thanksgiving . . .

Although I got some things done, yesterday, it was kind of a waiting time for the onslaught of the many things that need doing today! While my husband and children clean house, I will be busy in the kitchen. It's also time to get out the cooler as there isn't any room in the refrigerator until the turkey gets in the roaster tomorrow.

I did bake three loaves of bread for the stuffing, yesterday. Okay, three loaves minus a piece as my husband came home from work hungry and how could I refuse him a piece of warm bread from the oven? Today, the pies get made and the apples get sliced and soaked for an Apple Crisp to be baked tomorrow. Turkey broth is ready to be made into gravy.

I have to get out the tablecloths, count the silverware, and get the soda and drinks ready to be iced tomorrow. The great thing about having teens and young people for dinner - they prefer soda so I don't have to worry about fussing with drinks.

Every year, I put on a large, red tablecloth but over it I place two ancient tablecloths that an elderly man gave us just before we got married. The gentleman had broken off a friendship of many years with another family because his nephew told him they had stolen things from his home when he had been sick in the hospital. Just before his death, the elderly man discovered his nephew had been the one that stole from him. He called me and my future husband over, one evening, and gave us some tablecloths he cherished from his wife. He didn't have time to change his Will before he passed away so his nephew and greedy wife inherited everything. I believe the elderly gentleman would have liked it all to go to charity not the weak nephew. I don't imagine the nephew and his wife ever really found happiness in their ill-gotten gains. We, however, cherish our worn tablecloths and bring them out for Thanksgiving every year and think about our elderly friend.

Time to head out to church and start my work day with Mass and some prayers for my family, friends, and that sweet, elderly gentleman!

No comments: