Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Proof positive . . .

My prelude to Thanksgiving progressed pretty well this morning. Three pumpkin pies are cooling on the counter along side a pecan pie and the cornbread ready to be make into Cornbread Sausage stuffing. I also decided to fry up the bacon I will need for the broccoli salad which will save me some time in the morning. Besides, who wants to smell bacon frying when it is turkey day! The apples for the Apple Crisp are cut, sugared, and seasoned. Hint: For great apple pie, use both lemon and lime (fresh) juice. For some reason, the combination is wonderful.

I tried making the pie crust dough in the mixer this year with good results. I just kept in mind that I do not want to over mix it and end up with tough pie crust. Oh, and if you want to insure a tender, layered crust for your pie, substitue have the ice water for vodka! I don't drink vodka but I keep a bottle in the cupboard for just that purpose.

Our orange tree obliged me by have a few oranges ripen in time for making the pecan pie. I bake the traditional pecan pie recipe that shows up on the labels of corn syrup but like to add a tablespoon of brandy and the zest or an orange.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: