Saturday, December 17, 2011

An Italian Twist to Your Menu?

I first tried Panettone when my husband made it for me. During his bachelor years, my husband took of bread baking and this was one of his favorite recipes. I believe he used the Julia Child version but this link has a much quicker, easier version. You can now add some international flair to your holiday treats.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/panettone-i/

Although the recipe is good as written, I don't care for currants or raisins! I'm thinging I'll go with substituting some finely diced fruitcake fruit and dried cranberries along with some slivered almonds in the dough. The recipe doesn't call for an icing but a browned butter vanilla one would be very nice with a sprinkling of  slivered almonds.

I don't have a precise recipe for browned butter vanilla icing. I usually melt half a stick of butter and slowly brown it. I take it off the heat, add vanilla, some lemon zest, and enough cream or milk and powdered sugar to get a thick but pourable icing. I drizzle it over the warm but not hot panettone.

No comments: