Saturday, December 17, 2011

Spicy Persimmon Cookies

A friend gifted me with a bag of persimmons yesterday so I had to dig out a recipe for making Persimmon Cookies! These cookies have a wonderful memory for me. When I was growing up, the choir was a close group of people. The organist would have a Christmas party every year and one of the treats she provided were her homemade persimmon cookies. Being only a child, at the time, I was a little hesitant about this lumpy, bumpy cookies but the spicy scent and moist texture soon had been returning for seconds and thirds. When I received this bounty of persimmons, I immediately thought back on those long ago days and now want to bring some of that memory into my kitchen this week.

Spicy Persimmon Cookies
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup Persimmon pulp
1 Egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground Clove
1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
Freshly grated zest of one orange
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup dried cranberries

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla and persimmon pulp. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.

Drop by generous teaspoonfuls onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments: