Thursday, December 8, 2011

My continuing saga of the persimmons . . .

As I posted earlier, I had to wait four weeks for some beautiful persimmons to ripen. I ended up using the method posted on-line where in you put the persimmons in a plastic bag with an apple or banana and some kind of gases released by the other fruit will (eventually!) ripen the persimmons. The last one responded to the treatment and I happily consumed it yesterday.

My husband and I head over to Costco, our favorite warehouse store, and he sees that persimmons are still available. He goes to put a box of them in our cart and I hesitate, not wanting another month of bagged persimmons sitting on my counter . . . slowly, very slowly softening to the delectable eating stage. My husband agrees but when he gently squeezes one, he happily announces that it is already soft! I'm guessing that the produce people had been left with a lot of persimmons due to their unripened state but, lo and behold, all that sitting around has brought the persimmons around!

My family leaves the room when I eat a persimmon. The only respectable way to consume this mushy fruit is over the sink in the kitchen. I had two of them, last night, and actually preferred them to the chocolate mousse I had made for dessert.

When I was a young child, I remember a family friend who made the best persimmon cookies I had very tasted. My husband said I should make some of those cookies but I was aghast at his suggestion . . . use my persimmons in cookies? Nope, nope, nope! You can find me at the kitchen sink every evening after dinner until the remaining eight persimmons are eaten. And, no,  I will not share. Fortunately, I'm the only one who likes them. God is good that way! :-)

No comments: