Thursday, April 7, 2011

Tell the Children These are Grownup Cookies!

I like unusual recipes that aren't TOO odd! Poppy seeds have always been a favorite from poppy seed cake to a heavy sprinkling on fresh dinner rolls. When I found this recipe, I knew my life was complete (at least for the moment!) as it used two of my favorite things; poppy seeds and lemon zest!

Poppy Seed Slices

Not too sweet but goes great with sherbet. I keep telling my children these are grown up cookies but they eat them anyway!

2 sticks butter
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 cups all-purpose flour

Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer. Add the sugar and beat until light. Beat in the vanilla, then add the poppy seeds, lemon zest, flour and stir until the dough is well-mixed.

Form the dough into 2 or 3 logs, about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Wrap logs in waxed paper and freeze.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove the rolls from the freezer, one at a time. Cut into thin slices and arrange on un-greased baking sheets about one inch apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the edges just turn golden. Makes about 60 cookies.

No comments: