Thursday, April 7, 2011

DUKKAH!

Bet the subject line got your attention! Dukkah is a homemade spice mixture that could become a real staple in your kitchen!

I like spice mixtures that can be used in or on just about any type of dish. I have a friend who swears by the stuff and asks me every couple of years to mix her up a batch - PLEASE! There are many versions and it is very adaptable to personal tastes. Here is my basic rendition!

1 cup nuts - your choice (I prefer walnuts and almonds, pistaschios, if I can find them.
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup coriander seeds
1/4 cumin seeds
1/8 cup fennel seeds
Generous dash of chili flakes
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Toast nuts and seeds EACH separately. You don't want the flavors to blend at the onset of the mixture. Cool completely and pulse in a food processor until dry and crumbly. You can go fine or coarse depending on your preferences. Do not over process or you have a weird nut/seed butter!

This makes about two cups. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container.

I've seen some versions that include dried apricots or coconut. Once you try your first batch, it is up to you how you'd like to adjust the recipe.

It tastes good on bread brushed with olive oil, on scrambled eggs, etc. It's fun to try whatever sounds good to you.

No comments: