Monday, April 4, 2011

A culinary marriage . . .

One of my favorite flavor combinations is peanut butter and chocolate. I don't even have to mentione what candy bar I'll indulge in before any other given this fact about myself. I usually have a bag of peanut butter chips in the freezer for those moments when I need something of that flavor - need being purely in the mind of the hungry homemaker!

This is another recipe my family enjoys . . . and I don't mind eating, too! No, I don't weigh in at 600 pounds! I can limit myself to a moderate taste but have to admit the temptation is always there!

Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
½ cup (1 stick) melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine above ingredients and press into a seven or eight-inch springform baking pan. The crust should go about three-fourths of the way up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate until real to use.

Filling:

3 8-oz. Packages or cream cheese, softened
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1 ½ cups peanut butter chips

Place softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until cream cheese is thoroughly creamed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is well-combined. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Mixture should be thick and smooth. Beat in the melted chocolate until just blended. Fold in the peanut butter chips. Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Top will crack and brown. Cool 8 hours or overnight before serving.

However much we may be watching our calories, cheesecake will always be our downfall! And our fall from caloric grace is never too serious . . . four children see to it that there are not any excessive leftovers!

Cheese cake always lends itself to so many delicious innovations! The basis of the recipe, I learned from my mother who was never quite sure about my creative ideas. We always, however, came back to a meeting of the minds over the eating of it! My mother is no longer with us but I am insuring my children have a copy her favorite recipe with the encouragement to adorn it as the mood takes them.

No comments: