Friday, March 16, 2012

Easter (shopping) Days are Bright and Sunny . . .!

I am planning my shopping for Easter treats today. A look at the calendar reveals Lent is already winding down to Holy Week. I used to think it best to wait until a few days before Easter to purchase the Easter basket treats until I realized they had stocked the shelves weeks ago and it didn't really figure in on freshness as to when I purchased them!

Easter candy sure ain't what it used to be, that's for sure. We could always expect the basics in our baskets: a chocolate bunny, marshmallow eggs, jelly beans, and a small, stuffed animal. Once in awhile, we'd be gifted with crayons and a small coloring book. Now, there are six aisles to browse through for goodies. They even have some of the Easter treats color-coordinated!  There is even a choice in jelly beans! There are bubble gum ones, basic ones, speckled ones, spice ones . . . There are even bags with all black ones for the licorice lovers of the world.

Two aisles are devoted to prepackaged baskets, the kind that are already filled with treats and little gifts. There were a few of these types back in my stone age years. We never asked for one because they always had more fake grass than actual candy. A look at the modern concept  will confirm that aspect hadn't changed.

There are acres of stuffed animals. Easter frogs always bring a nostalgic tear to me eye . . . not! Easter frogs? The Easter Bunny and his ducky friends should stage a protest.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the shopping arena and  hope to find what I am going in search of: Chocolate bunnies, plain, ol' jelly beans, marshmallow eggs, and GREEN fake grass, not blue, not pink, and definitely not yellow.

My children are almost all out of their teens now.  Does that cut down on my Easter shopping? Actually, it increased it as I have to include friends and college roommates when I make up the Easter baskets! Hey, until they grow up, I don't see why I have to change!

No comments: