Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hot Potato Salad

The last time I was in Germany, I finally got my fill (well, almost!) of that warm, savory, potato salad that often appeared with sausage dishes. I keep forgetting to make it at home but decided to post it here as a reminder and to share with everyone. I do enjoy the regular, cold potato salad with it's creamy mayo/mustard dressing but a change is nice and this German-style potato salad is very nice.

Hot Potato Salad

4-6 potatoes, peeled and diced - large not tiny dicing
6 slices of bacon
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 medium onion, finely chopped -  I think red onions taste best
Bacon drippings
1/4 cup cider vinegar

Cook in salted water the diced potatoes until just tender. You don't want mushy potatoes. Drain potatoes and set aside.

Cook the bacon until crisp.  Remove from pan.  Cook chopped onion in  the drippings until tender.

Crumble the bacon into small bits and add to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Add parsley and cooked onion. With the drippings left in the pan, heat the vinegar and pour over the potatoes and serve. This is also excellent at room temperature.

No comments: