Wednesday, March 28, 2012

You have to wonder . . .

Tis the season when we start getting all kinds of unsolicited phone calls from prospective candidates, people taking polls on election outcomes, and reminders to vote come November. Over the election period, I got several interesting calls and you had to wonder why the people volunteered to help as they didn't seem to know or understand what it was all about.

My favorite was this woman who came to the door in well-worn jeans and a tee shirt that was a size too small. She handed me a flyer (which looked better than she did) and said she was running for the school board. We chatted a bit and the subject of obamacare came up and she looked positively blank and said she had never heard about it.

Another time, someone called on behalf of some candidate and urged me to support them. I asked a few questions about their capabilities and they politely responded. I asked if they were Pro-Life and the person slammed the phone down on me.

Yesterday, a volunteer for a congressional candidate called to  get my vote. I asked what political party they represented and was informed. I asked the caller if the candidate was Pro-Life and there was a moment of silence and the volunteer replied, "I don't know."

It is a real view of the voters at large to hear these things come from people who are trying to express an interest in politics and help out. They seem to be representing the person and not the policies. They want change yet never seem to inquire what that change might be.

No comments: