Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bread and Cookie Memories!

I was thinking back over the years of my Christmas baking and recalled with much fondness and delight two in particular.  My husband purchased an Italian bread and cookie cook book for me one Christmas when we were first married. The cookies featured were unusual and very tempting just reading the recipes. My husband suggested we pick out four of our favorite recipes and spend a day together baking them. It was a great day and we ended up with four, new favorite cookies.

My husband is a fantastic bread baker but isn't above helping out with cookie baking. I was in charge but he made an excellent assistant and cleaned up the mess, afterwards. Even 25 years later, we have been known to turn to each other and say, "Remember that day we baked those cookies . . .?" It is so easy to create small memories that form a bond that stays forever. This was before the children made their appearance and is one of those couple-only moments that can't be done quite the same way, again.

Another great memory was my husband's willingness to share his bread baking with the children. I came home from grocery shopping to find the kitchen table cover with flour and children happily patting out big lumps of bread dough according to their own specifications. My husband gave them a simple explanation about bread (which was probably lost on the two year old!), but they still remember the fun they had that day and how good their own loaves of bread tasted.

All my children cook/bake to one degree or another to this day and I think this first episode of helping dad mix flour, water, yeast, and salt got them started.

No comments: