Saturday, November 19, 2011

Oatmeal cookies revisited . . . again!

Once again, I have revised a well-liked recipe for oatmeal cookies. The first time I made the recipe, it was good but, upon reflection, I realized I could add some nutrient value as well as make them a whole lot better . . . at least to my oatmeal cookie mind set! As you can see from the pictures, I actually made these cookies today. My house smells very nice.

Revised Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon hazelnut extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cup Raisin Bran Cereal
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Beat together the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs, beating well. Mix in the extracts and coffee powder. Add the flour and baking soda and mix completely. Fold in the oats and Raisin Bran Cereal.

Drop by tablespoons onto either a vegetable-greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack. My teenage son has just informed me that they go GREAT with a glass of cold milk! I love unbiased critics.

Ideas . . .
You can add some toasted coconut to the mix.
Chocolate chips never hurt a cookie yet that I know of.
Some people like using puffed rice cereal instead of the Raisin Bran flakes.
Some chopped pecans or walnuts could work well here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: