Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pumpkin Discoveries . . .

As mentioned, pumpkin is a favorite around our house. I imagine it is favored by a majority of households. Up until a few years ago, pumpkin meant pumpkin pie and it seemed to me that it was a major crop intended for such a narrow market. I've since learned through my cooking explorations that pumpkin can show up on any meal course from appetizer to dessert. This one, however, is a first for me - Pumpkin Salad Dressing! Needless to say, it is going to grace my dinner table in an experimental manner to see if my family figures out the 'secret' ingredient. What a great idea, too, in getting some extra nutrition into the tastiness of mealtime.

Pumpkin Salad Dressing
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons grated red onion
2 teaspoons dijon-type mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all the ingredients in a blender and mix for 2-3 minutes or until well combined. Remove to a sealable container and refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about two cups of dressing.

Seems to me that it would make a good dip for vegetables, too.

A salad suggestion: Romaine or iceberg lettuce, green pepper, slices of radishes, carrot, red onion, tomatoes, celery, crisp bacon, cucumber, hard-boiled egg slices, mushrooms . . .

No comments: