Friday, July 1, 2011

Baking in spite of the summer temperatures . . .

Okay, I'm crazy but I plan to bake a few batches of cupcakes to decorate in red, white, and blue for the holiday weekend. I want to try the bakery-style frosting recipe I posted a week or so ago and I want to treat some friends and neighbors.

Sigh . . . While I do like what the Fourth of July stands for, I dislike the way the holiday is presented. No patriotism in our neighborhood, just blaring stereos and fire crackers being set off from dawn until practically the next dawn. Given the height and blast, we are talking about a lot of 'imported' and illegal stuff being exploded over our roofs. How do we celebrate? We spend the early evening thoroughly wetting down our roof and yard. We give the dog a treat to calm her down. And we try to cope with music that is louder than  our television WITH closed doors and windows. You have to wonder where consideration and a real feel for what the day stands for has gone.

Anyway, I'm making my festive cupcakes and giving them out on Sunday. My husband always has to laugh when I get indignant over the unnecessary noise that disturbs the peace of the neighborhood because I always remark, "Well, there is another person who is NOT getting one of my quilts for Christmas!" Since these people don't even know me, I'm thinking they aren't worried! But, hey, they don't know what they are missing! :- )

No comments: