Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The time is speeding by . . .

When my son and I started saving for a special adventure together to celebrate his high school graduation about two years ago, it seemed like we had forever to wait. Once in a while, I would panic over what I still needed to save and what I had to get done before we actually took off for the trip. I always calmed myself down with, "Oh, well, it's still ten months away . . . Stop worrying, you still have six months to go, etc." It is now coming on less than two weeks until take off so I am officially allowed to start a mild panic!

My son has never been outside the country except to Mexico a couple of times which is a whole other story! He is VERY excited and not worried in the least because all he has to do is follow where ever I may lead. I'm the responsible adult and after years of doing everything in the wake of my husband, I'm on my own for this vacation. My husband feels that sitting on a plane for 15 hours and then walking, walking, and walking some more to see sights is NOT a vacation for him. He is happily staying home to paint my kitchen . . . or so he says. :-)

The suitcases have been set out for two weeks now and as we think of things we need, we toss them in so we don't forget. I've already spent an afternoon going over what is actually accumulating in them to decide if all that stuff is actually needed! My teen son feels that what he will be wearing and a toothbrush is enough for two weeks. As fast as he removes 'unwanted' items, I put them back. My main problem is convincing him that it will be cold on some aspects of the trip and he does need to bring a jacket. Just in case, I've put in a heavy pullover and may see about selling it to him when he finds himself freezing on the trip and I can say in that motherly tone I am so good at, "I told you so!"

Seriously, this is a history adventure with visits to many historic sites of World War II. Besides his great love of history, I want my son to see what happened then and how, in spite of the evidence, the world just doesn't learn from history. History repeats itself because man won't learn.

We leave on Friday the Thirteenth so wish us well. I will continue posting up until that date and will resume on June first. Meanwhile, I've been getting extra scribbles of interested posted to make up for the long silence beginning on May 13th.

My daughter will be home from college so my husband will still get his homecooked meals and my daughter is happy to have a kitchen and ingredients to herself. God is good and has really blessed out endeavor.

No comments: