Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Practicing my Faith . . .

For some reason, I seem to be a target for the Jehovah Witnesses, lately. The way it usually goes is they come to the door, I talk politely to them and let them know I have a religion I'm quite happy about and thank you but no thank you. And in case they don't get the message, they should take note of the three-foot statue of the Blessed Mother right by the door.

Although I am upfront from the moment I open the door, I never brush them off and often end up in conversation with them. Whenever they start in on their agenda, I swing the conversation to something we can agree on, make my points, and we part in good spirit.

Many people tell me I shouldn't even bother to open the door and just yell for them to GO AWAY. In my mind, there are few people it is safe to open the door to, these days so why not show them that we can be gracious even if we differ.

Today, they tried to get me on 'praying to saint' instead of God. I explained to them that I ask the saints to pray to God along with me. They chose to ignore that so I switched to immoral fashions which they jumped on immediately and we sighed over what the world has come to with sin. As we rounded up the conversation and they were about to walk off, I smiled and called out, "And, by the way, Catholics do NOT worship statues . . . in case you wondered!" They looked confused and wandered off to their next house.

No comments: