Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Supermarket strategy . . .

It is a fact that the cost of groceries has gone drastically up over the last year so a necessary visit to the grocery store is a challenge to see how much you can buy for how little. I keep track of the rise in prices by how much more is being charged for various items that need to find their way into everyone's grocery cart each week.

In order to feed my family and stay with the budget left to us after taxes, I watch the sales closely. I never just stop by the market for one item. I go up and down each aisle to see what might be on sale that wasn't advertised or manager's bargains. I haunt the last chance section where they put the discounted meat and vegetables.

I'm learning to buy items like pasta and rice when they are on sale even if I have five boxes at home. I just rotate according to purchase date and know that they will come in handy for a between-pay day meal. I've also learned to do without some things and substitute less expensive items for other needs. Coupons are cherished but even they aren't the same help when the original price of the item is higher than usual.

You have to wonder what our politicians and unions are thinking when they increase taxes and abstain unions from any real cut backs. When they increased the sales tax in our state, we cut back our spending which earned the state a lot less than if they had left our taxes alone. The powers that be should take a basic lesson in maintaining a checking account - you don't write checks if the funds aren't there!

Anyway, I'm back from the grocery store trenches and did pretty well and saved over $40 on my purchase. My husband calls my store receipt, my report card and he said I get an A for today!

No comments: