Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Stack the Deck!

If you like to quilt like I do, the ongoing problem is scraps of fabric. I have been known to keep the smallest bit of fabric because it was a pattern/color that I liked to much! Given this accumulation of remnants, I make a lot of crazy quilts, mostly of my own design. I was happy, however, to find a new method of using up those leftover fabrics. The quilting book, Stack the Deck Revisited by Karla Alexander has an interesting approach to scrap quilts. The premise is you cut out squares of fabric about 12 inches to 18 inches and stack them in 'decks' of four. The book offers cutting instructions but you basically cut the squares into angular shapes, shuffle the colors around, and sew them back together. When you are done, you square the edges and you have a unique, pieced quilting square unlike anyone else's in the world. I tried this with old-fashioned florals, yesterday, and was happy with the outcome. It is a great concept and has really gotten my mind going with hopes of finally getting to the bottom of my scrap basket! I'll share pictures as I get further into my latest quilting adventure.

No comments: