Friday, June 8, 2012

Modesty, modesty, where art thou modesty . . .?

I spend about ten to fifteen minutes every day waiting in the college parking lot for my son to finish class. It is amazing the array of 'fashions' that go by with very few in the modest category. Not only are many of the outfits immodest but almost odd. I always enjoy young people declaring that they dress the way they do to be different yet as soon as one shows up in something different, it is copied so then they are back to being conformists?

Since the summer heat has been trying to take hold, many of the young ladies are sporting shorts but the word 'shorts' is almost too long to describe their attire. When did it become stylish to have your backside cheeks hang below your shorts? Not only is it unattractive but with all the germs and bacteria
seemingly rampant in this day and age, I shudder thinking about them sliding this excess of bare flesh over much-used chairs and desk seats during the day.

 There are many males and females who look to be wearing pajama bottoms with tee shirts that look very slept in and rumpled. They may not be unwashed and smelly but they give the appearance of being so.

Cold mornings are the challenge of the college stylish. Most will opt for skinny jeans but keep the expanse of bare torso and top that with an equally short jacket or sweater.

Yes, I know, I've gotten old enough to like modest attire. I came from the miniskirt age and did, in my wayward youth, wear said fashion statement. I think the difference, however, was that even with the short skirts, everyone seemed to make themselves presentable with suit jackets, nice blouses, and shoes.

The guys aren't much better with their drooping pants, sloppy sports pants, and untied sneakers. My husband said the reason teens and young people dress this way is because someone told them it was 'way cool'.

As I sat observing this parade of non-fashion (and wishing I had remembered my book!), I thought about how nice it would be to see these young people really care about their appearance and make their statement through their attitude and scholastic achievements.

No comments: