Friday, June 8, 2012

Bragging rights?

My eldest son is graduating with his Masters Degree tomorrow . . . in Taiwan! No, we aren't Asian but he has always had a love for the language and culture. He transferred to Taiwan almost three years ago to complete his college work for his Masters. He is also giving one of the speeches at the graduation. He sent me a quote that is used at Chinese graduations which is beautiful and certainly points out the purpose for the day and the promise of the future for graduates.

"To fly as an eagle for a thousand leagues,
awaiting the moment we meet again"


My husband and I are very sad to not be there for this great milestone in our son's lives. We got definite word about three weeks ago and, although I have a passport, my husband does not. Also there is the small consideration of the large cost for airfare, too. I don't think airlines provide a 'parents to graduation' discount!

We are very proud of our son's accomplisments. He is giving a speech at the graduation in Chinese. He has been fluent in the language for some time now. I'm hoping he has some friends take pictures for us so we can have a small share in the day. He just sent an e-mail saying it was ten hours until he gave his speech so I'm thinking he is pretty excited about it.

Sigh . . . nothing is perfect in life and being at his graduation and getting to visit an Asian country, would be near-perfection . . . but that's the way things are at times. No such thing as something being 'unfair'. There are time when it is what it is and we cope with disappointment.


No comments: