Sunday, May 20, 2012

Summer weather, barbecue, food . . .

Although I didn't lit up the outside barbecue grill for dinner today, I did put a rack of pork ribs in the oven at 300 degrees to cook them low and slow in hopes of some juicy ribs. The fact that I marinated them in soy sauce and white wine didn't hurt that hoped-for result either. To further enhance the summer taste of barbecue, I did a quick mix of a basting sauce.

I usually like to fuss over the sauce starting from scratch and mixing and inventing. Today was one of those days so I took my sneaky easy route. Depending on how many ribs you are making, you may want to add or subtract the ingredients a bit. Basically, I mixed 1 cup of bottled barbecue sauce with three tablespoons of coarse Dijon mustard, dried onion flakes, and a good pinch of chili flakes. After the ribs had cooked for an hour, I brushed the sauce liberally over the meat. Every 15-20 minutes I added another brushing of the sauce. Since I am roasting them in the oven at such a low temperature, it will take about two to three hours to cook. My quick combination gives it good flavor and tastes like you fussed.

I had leftover wild rice mixture from dinner last night. I mixed it with three eggs, onion, cheese, salt, pepper, and some chili flakes. I am gently frying it in a pan heated up with a bit of butter.

It's not hard to come up with a good dinner and still keep some recreation time for the Sunday afternoon. I've come to realize, however, that I like to provide healthy, tasty food for my family and approach my cooking as a vocation not a job.

No comments: