Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ahead of my time . . . !

When I started being more careful of my diet, I soon realized that even fresh orange juice was hardly better for me than a soda. Sure, it had Vitamin C but it packed the same amount of fructose as a soft drink. There may be a history of how juice came into being and ended up as a staple on our breaksfast table and in our children's lunch boxes, but, it isn't all that good for you!

My favorite breakfast (when I'm splurging) is eggs, toast and a big glass of freshly made orange juice. Now, my favorite breakfast (which happens about once a year!) includes a very small glass of juice and some fresh, whole fruit. Face it, you can't eat as many oranges as you can drink in a glass of juice.

My son and are, however, are advocates of green smoothies instead of lunch. I was gifted with a blender that grinds up just about anything. We compose our smoothies of fresh broccoli, apple, Kiwi, fresh spinach, and peeled orange sections, all spun with ice for a smooth texture. It feeds our desire for fruit juice in a much better way. It is great on those hot, summer afternoons when you are hungry but too warmly uncomfortable to eat.

Our doctor was happily shocked when she found out that we did not serve our children milk at the dinner table. Unless we are having a party or special event, we only serve water with our meals with ice as an option! The children fill up on their meal not soda and sugar. They've all survived to go to college so it wasn't too bad an idea!

I had to smile a bit smugly this morning when a newspaper headline stated that juice was not good for us in the large amounts it is being consumed. They should have asked me years ago! : - )

No comments: