Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thank you?

The advent of the Internet means of communication has, in a large part, reduced civility in the world! It wears away at polite society because it makes it too easy to be polite. And, we all know that the easier something gets to be, the easier it is to just not do it at all.

I was raised back in the olden days when every little gift received earned a hand-written thank you note. Today, in spite of all the modern conveniences that save us time, we always seem to be rushing and thank you notes go by way of an e-mail transmission. Now, I have absolutely no problem with this, however, something made too easy often doesn't get done at all. The importance has been removed.

My favorite 'thank you' to date involved a gift I sent to a friend of a friend. The only reason I know the person happened to like it was a note on Facebook that said, "Tell Barbara 'thank you'" Okay, something akin to a thank you was produced but a second or third hand one just doesn't have quite the same impact!

This incident made me promise myself to try and send hand-written thank you notes in the future but, if time goes by and you wonder, check your e-mail! : - )

No comments: