Saturday, March 3, 2012

Imagine that . . .

According to some article I ran across on the Internet, although salmon is good for you, it shouldn't be fried as this destroys some of the nutritional value of the fish. Salmon is expensive so it is a treat when I deem the budget capable of including it in the grocery list. My family likes it fried in a bit of butter and olive oil. I met with glares and sighs of dismay when I said I was baking it for our Friday dinner. Much to their surprise, it was better baked and even more juicy and flavorful.

Knowing I had a challenge, I mused over my cooking strategy and decided to marinate the fish in some soy sauce, wine, and Asian dressing. When it came time to bake it, I lined a baking pan with parchment paper and arranged my pieces of fish on it. I seasoned with salt and pepper. On each piece, I placed a thin slice of fresh lemon. I drizzled sesame oil on them and heavily sprinkled on sesame seeds. To make sure it would dry out, I sprayed them with vegetable oil spray. I baked them for about 15-20 minutes (depends on the thickness of the fish), served it with Jasmine rice and steamed broccoli, and was declared a culinary hero. I like challenges, especially the ones that work out well like this!

No comments: