Friday, March 9, 2012

Diets, a weighty matter . . .

Although my current weight is okay, I am working at eating healthier and if a few pounds should drop along the way, I would not complain! The most I seem to lose when I put in some extra effort is about five pounds . . . which is depressing as it isn't in line with how hungry I often get!

Since Lent started, I made it my 'sacrifice' to not eat between meals and incorporate a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables in my diet and cut down on the empty calories. Much to my surprise, many of my cravings for sugary sweets have left and I find myself looking forward to a fresh orange or a crisp apple for dessert.

After two weeks of sticking to my resolution, I stepped on the scale figuring I should have lost, oh . . . say . . . a lot of weight. I had lost five pounds. I was a bit down about that but haven't given up my resolve to eat healthy and just take things as they come.

I was putting away groceries, yesterday, and hefting the five-pound bag of sugar up into the cupboard. Suddenly, I stopped to think . . . Five pounds . . . It weighed as much as I had lost . . . five pounds. I picked up the sugar package, again, and realized that it was, indeed, a bit of weight. Suddenly, I realized that this weight of the bag of sugar was almost exactly what I had lost and it wasn't a minor event, after all! Holding that sugar package made me look at the weight loss in a whole, new light. Five pounds was a lot to lose. I didn't eat or do anything weird or wild in my diet, just exercised and ate correctly. I smiled, realizing that somewhere on my frame, there was the weight of a bag of sugar gone! Nope, I couldn't really tell but five pounds is five pounds and it won't be allowed within my vicinity, again. Now, I can't wait to lose a ten-pound bag of sugar! Who knows, in the next year, I might be looking at a 25-pound bag of flour a whole lot differently! :-)

No comments: