Friday, March 9, 2012

Thinking meatless . . .

I don't know why I seem to think more about meat dishes  during Lent but some of my most creative protein ideas mull through my mind these days. It is probably a distraction from the sacrifice at hand - observing some meatless days for Lent.

Yesterday, I remembered a meatless sandwich we all enjoy but I completely forgot about - Egg Salad Sandwiches! It came to mind when I was rearranging the refrigerator after grocery shopping and I had four eggs that did not fit into my organization scheme of things. I decided to boil them and they would be available for anyone wanting a quick snack. Then it hit me, egg salad for sandwiches!

There are many versions of this type of sandwich but we go relatively simple.

My Egg Salad Sandwich

Good quality, whole wheat bread, lightly toasted

4-6 hardboiled eggs - depends on how many sandwiches you need
Sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing
2-4 tablespoons mayo
Salt & Pepper to taste

Chop up the eggs, mix in the ingredients and make sandwiches!

Ideas . . .

*Not going meatless? Add some bacon bits to the mixture.
*Sliced olives are good.
*Finely diced red onion add some zing to the sandwich.
*Line a tortilla with Romaine lettuce and fill with the egg salad.
*I've heard that pureed Garbonzo beans mixed with the yolk and then the chopped egg white is interesting but haven't tried that yet. It would stretch out the ingredients.

No comments: