Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mardi Gras . . .

I treated the family to a three-day 'Fat Tuesday'. The reason for the early Mardi Gras celebration? If there is cake left over, what to do with Lent in the picture? I decided to let each one at home decide on their favorite cake and got them all baked, yesterday. My son opted for a coconut layer cake. I had just purchased some coconut extract that smelled terrific and he wanted to see it incorporated into his favorite cake . . . as soon as possible! My daughter likes anything pumpkin so got a pumpkin spice cake with orange frosting. My husband saw a torte recipe in a magazine and has been wanting to try that one.

Interesting re. the chocolate torte in that the recipe called for toasting the walnuts and it certainly made a wonderful difference in the flavor of the recipe. Next Christmas baking, I'm toasting the walnuts for my brownies. Such a simple concept and one I never considered.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: