Monday, February 27, 2012

A crisp and colorful addition to most any meal . . .

I was thinking about what I could do to add more salads/vegetables to our meals yet make them a lure to the dinner table, too. We enjoy cole slaw and it came to me that I could bring that to a tastier level.

Cranberry Nut Cabbage Salad

Approximately 6 cups of shredded cabbage (amount depends on how many you are serving)
1/4 - 1/2 cups of finely diced red onion
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted pecans
Bottle of your favorite Italian dressing

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add enough dressing to moisten to your preferences. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

If you are not a fan of Italian dressing, one of your favorite cream-type dressing could work. This is an easy salad that adjusts to your personal tastes. Remember to adjust the ingredients according to the servings you require. Makes a great dish to take to a potluck dinner.

I'm making myself hungry as I realize I still have a bag of dried cranberries in the freezer. Think I'll head over to the store for some cabbage tomorrow!

*If you have the time, you can candy the pecans in a bit of brown sugar before adding to the salad, too!

No comments: