Sunday, December 4, 2011

My day of rest . . .?

No cookie baking today. Except for several specialized recipes that are done just before we gift people with cookies, I'm done . . . sort of! Of the 22 varieties I've made, my son still maintains the Sour Cream Twists are the best. He admits I didn't wasted my time baking the other ones but if I had made 22 batches of the Sour Cream Twists, he would have been happy. Uh, I noticed he happily consumed every new cookie that emerged from the oven.

We are heading off to Mass in the next 20 minutes. I'm hoping the sermon makes a bit more sense today as I am still trying to figure out one of the weekday ones. Father gave a very short sermon, basically repeating the same thing three times - that the people who attend daily Mass are the ones chasing away Catholics by the thousands. Oh, so that is why we only have about 40 at Mass every morning! Since we are a socialable, friendly bunch, we are totally confused about what he said. He is young, however, so a bit more priestly service might calm down what was obviously a worry to him.

Perhaps, Father meant that we are not more welcoming as I've experienced that to a great degree at a former parish. I can see where we need to respect and enact the basic rule of Christian Hospitality but his sermon sure didn't develop the subject any further than we were the inhospital problem of the day.

Cold temperatures and a brisk wind kept me from my pre-Mass walk, yesterday. I braved the morning stroll for one round and then hurried into church early to warm up. No exercise but some extra prayers. How many calories do prayers burn or do you 'burn' if you don't pray? :-)

No comments: