Thursday, October 20, 2011

Left-handed compliments and other stuff in life . . .

We've all been the victim of compliments that were not really meant to flatter but point out our flaws to others under the guise of a person 'being nice'. I've run into a few of them  and thought I'd share! Fortunately, I laughed about the remarks at the time and considered the source. I still get a kick out of them just writing them down here today. Good example of people not thinking before they open their mouth.

The first time I met one of my future in-laws was meeting them for dinner. The moment I walked in, the 'kindly' female in-law sweetly said, "Would you like to borrow something nice to wear to dinner?" Uh, I was nicely dressed!

The first time the same female visited out home after we were married, she inquired, "Would you like me to help you match your soaps in the bathroom? They won't work if they don't match? I didn't even want to bring up the subject of towels!

I suggested to a 'friend' that we meet for morning Mass and then go on to a field trip for the children afterwards. She told me that she would not be exposing her children to the liberal garbage probably spewed out by the priest at that parish. Okay . . . then we can meet directly after me and my brood pray ourselves to hell.

Someone asked for help with a recipe and I got two remarks. The minute I mentioned using something other than salt and pepper, she exclaimed, "No wonder your food tastes good. You cheat and use herbs and spices!" "I wish I could say she was joking . . ."  Then she stopped short and said, "You are just reciting the recipe not showing me a page in a cookbook. Wow, you cheat and don't use a printed down recipe!" My last 'cooking' session with this particular person!

A home schooling mom actually said to me, "Gosh, I wish I was like you and could scrape my hair back in a pony tail and not care what people said about me." Excuse me?

When we first got married, a relative asked me what Waterford Crystal I would be collecting for my drinking glasses. She seemed to take it amiss when I said, "I'll probably use whatever the jelly came in that week." One of us has socialite aspirations and guess who it isn't?

A favorite from another home schooling mother was, "Here is a bag of Harry Potter games and stuff my family gave my children for Christmas. I don't want my children to have this kind of garbage. You can give the stuff to your children." How do I say 'thank you'?

I finished a company meal with a special dessert. One of my relatives took a bite, put down her fork, and said, "It tastes like crud!" Her husband chastised her but she came back with, "I would think Barbara would like an honest opinion." By the way, I cleaned up her language description of the dessert! And, she finished it!

A relative on my husband's side told me, "The children used to look like your side of the family until they got older and good looking."    Hey, you let someone in your family marry into a family of trolls . . .!

My all-time favorite is someone watching me run around to get dinner on the table and saying, "Gee, you make it look so easy!" No, she didn't offer to help . . . at all!

No comments: