Friday, October 28, 2011

Almond Sugar Cookies

What can I say? After Molasses Cookies, Sugar Cookies are a great favorite. I have a collection of favorite recipes so will share them as I come across them in my Christmas preparations. This is a super-simple one that goes together fast. The smell of the cookies baking will cause a stampede to your kitchen. Have the cold milk ready!

Almond Sugar Cookies

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 egg
½ cup toasted, ground almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

Before my mother joined the ranks of full-time work outside the home, she used to stay up late at night to get the Christmas baking done. It was one of the wonders of my little girl years to wake in the morning and find the kitchen piled high (or though it seemed!) with massive varieties of freshly baked cookies. One of the reasons I made sure I could stay home with my children until they went off to college . . . Hoping to instill some memories into their lives!

No comments: