Friday, October 28, 2011

December Birthdays . . .

I think we have six or seven December birthdays to remember these days. Two of the birthdays belong to my children. They have always been allowed to chose the cake they want and I happily bake it for them and add some of my own touches. The following is a relatively easy recipe that I plan to use for a mint chocolate layer cake. I think I will go with a basic chocolate cake and put the mint into the filling and outside icing. I have a daughter who likes that combination every much. Last year, she opted for a pumpkin pie. I think it is time to go fancier!

Basic Chocolate Cake
1 cup softened butter
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups water

Cream together the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well. Mix in the vanilla and almond extract. Add the dry ingredients, mix a bit, and then add the water. Beat until smooth.

Pour into either three 8-or 9-inch round baking pans that have been greased and floured. You can use parchment paper on the bottom of each instead. Bake for approximately 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool before trying to remove from pans. Compete the cooling on the cooling racks before frosting. Make your own or purchase frosting.

Ideas . . .
You can add chocolate chips (1/2 cup) to the batter before baking if you want a really indulgent cake!

Go chocolate/orange and use half water and half orange juice in the recipe. Increase the contrast and include a tablespoon of freshly grated orange zest.

I'm thinking of trying this - Beating in chocolate-covered peppermint patties into the frosting mix.

For easier serving, you can bake the cake in oblong cake pans and just frost the top and cut and serve from the pan.

No comments: