Saturday, September 17, 2011

What exactly is our job?

I've met some interesting stay-at-home mothers over the years and strange as it may seem, few of them were very interested in cooking meals for their family. They all had 'good' reasons but the bottom line was they were really not seeing to the health of their children and husband. I'm probably more devoted to my time in the kitchen each day because my mother was a working mother and our meals were either fast food on the run or sporadic because her work started around seven every morning and she didn't usually come home until eight at night. For school children, that is a long time to wait for a hot dinner. I didn't want to ever treat my children like that.

I worked until my first child was born and it seemed so natural to me to be the major caregiver for him and to do my best to see that he ate what was good for him rather than what he liked. My husband, early one, had a rule that everyone had to eat a bite of everything to leave the table. If they wanted dessert, they had to finish their vegetables. These rules inspired me to cook and bake healthy but pleasing meals so there would be happy children and a happy husband at mealtime. It took the edge off of any hectic days when we could all come together and share the meal. Sure, we had our arguments with stubborn children. No one liked everything all the time but I felt like I was keeping my commitment to my family and marriage.

I was an okay cook when I got married but I knew how to read and . . . you read cookbooks! It reminded me of when I started work in my single life. I didn't know everything about my job when I first started but I looked for ways to improve. Same with life in the kitchen! It is really depressing when you present someon with a box of homemade cookies or invite them to dinner and their compliment is, "Well, it comes easy tfor you."

Feeding your children is like helping them with their lessons. You feed their mind through books and you have to feed their bodies in a nutrionally valid way in order for them to progress in their learning.

Just my feelings . . . If you get married, part of love, honor, and cherish includes a decent home and proper meals. When the children come, the love, honor, and cherish should spill over into their care, too.

No comments: