Monday, September 26, 2011

Banana Bread - Baking Battle?

My family is always happy to see the last of the bananas growing old and brown on the counter because they know my frugal nature goes into effect and soon the scent of baking banana bread will grace our environment. Such happened this morning only I found myself with  a hesitation . . . which recipe to use! I got jump started on baking when I read a new recipe for banana bread, last night. Today, I remembered by old standby version and compared them. The major difference was using butter or oil. Today, I went by the oil version as I didn't have time to soften the butter but, as I type, I'm wondering if it makes a difference or is it just a personal choice.

Here goes the recipe that is currently baking in the oven.

My Favorite Banana Bread (always subject to change!)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg
3 pureed bananas
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grated zest of one lemon
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds

Vegetable spray the bottom and about one inch up the sides of a loaf pan.

In a mixing bowl, put in all the ingredients. Beat on low for about two minutes until everything is well incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for approximately 45-55 minutes.

Banana Walnut Bread (the new one!)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
3 pureed bananas
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Vegetable oil spray one loaf pan.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar well. Add eggs, beating well. Add the bananas. Put in the rest of the ingredients and beat to just mix. Spread batter in prepared baking pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes.

No comments: