Monday, September 26, 2011

What to do with leftover mashed potatoes . . .

I was about to grab some potatoes and peel them for dinner when I remembered I had about a cup of leftover mashed potatoes from a day or so ago. What could one do with that little when it had to feed three people and provide two work lunches for my husband?

I decided to break up the potatoes and mix in a couple of eggs. Since the potatoes had been salted and spiced for the original meal, all I added was a quarter cup of finely grated Romano cheese. In the frying pan of choice, I braised some diced onion with a bit of olive oil. When the onions were almost tender, I threw in some diced bacon. When the onions and bacon had cooked together nicely, I spread out the potato mixture, mixed it into the onion/bacon and then spread it into a semblance of a pancake. I turned it on low to cook until I finished the rest of the meal cooking. We had steak for dinner (which doesn't happen too often) but all my husband talked about were the potatoes. Just thought I'd share that idea with you.

An almost-Fall today here in Southern California. I think it headed towards 85-plus by afternoon but it was very pleasant after the triple-digit temperatures of a few weeks ago. I could actually bake in the oven without a protest from the family.

After a week without her cellphone, my daughter is back into the social phone circle. Things are back to normal. We call her cell phone and she doesn't answer either because a.) she isn't in the same room as the phone or b.) she has it turned off. Sigh . . . The world goes on, things change . . . but some things never do! :-)

No comments: