Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dessert Reconstruction!

I made two pound cakes earlier this week and with only one child on the premise, right now, I had one that wasn't going to get eaten any time soon. Since it was a lemon pound cake and we like lemon around here, I decided to reconstruct it for dessert tonight. I made a lemon pudding and while it was cooling down to lukewarm, I slice up the pound cake into relatively thin slices and arranged them in the bottom of a glass pie pan. I spooned over half of the lemon pudding. I repeated the cake layer and pour on the rest of the pudding and let it spread out to cover all the cake pieces. I save a slice of the pound cake and turned it into crumbs and sauteed them in a bit of butter and orange zest to crisp a bit and sprinkled them over the top layer of pudding. Reconstructed pound cake!

I like leftovers of most anything as it gets our creative juices going when you have to prepare a meal yet want to save a bit of money. I also like the fact that no one can tell you how it should look or taste because it is a new 'invention' and never seen before in the kitchen near you!

No comments: