Sunday, March 20, 2011

Maybe hot weather will not be TOO bad . . .

As I've mentioned, I seem to be happiest on cold, overcast days. I love rain and keeping warm as I cook in the kitchen or huddle under a quilt I stitching. Today, I think I would like a warm day or two. I found a recipe for a favorite flavor of mine - lemon - and an easy way to dispose of said fruit - ice cream. Although we have an ice cream maker, it doesn't get used often as we have to have enough ice on hand and it it noisy. This recipe is right on mark with me and my lazy views on hauling out the ice cream maker - it doesn't NEED an ice cream maker!

Lemon Ice Cream

1 large lemon, juiced and zested
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream, chilled

Combine the lemon zest and sugar in the food processor. Blend until the zest is very fine. If you don't have access to a food processor, finely grate the zest and mix into the sugar. In a bowl, stir together the sugar and milt with the sugar until it has dissolved, then stir in the lemon juice. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff. Gently fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture until evenly blended.

Pour the mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 2-3 hours or until firm.

According to an on-line source, you can freeze whole lemons for later use. You just zap them in the microwave for a few seconds and the juice is usually more prevalent as the freezing has broken down the cells. The juice, however, is still fresh tasting. I have two such bags of lemons in my freezer right now. I'm blessed with a bountiful lemon tree.

No comments: