Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sort of homemade but fast and easy . . .

I seldom purchase store-type cookies. I like to know exactly what goes into the food I feed my family and there are less additives in food that comes from my kitchen. Cookies are always in demand for snacks or a fast breakfast with a glass of milk on a busy day. I strain my homemade rule a bit when I make these but they turn out pretty good. It saves time when you need a batch of cookies on short notice.

1 package any flavor cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg

Combine all the ingredients until thorouoghly moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto a cookie sheet lightly sprayed with vegetable oil. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately ten minutes. Cool a few minutes before removing them from the baking sheet to the cooling rack.

If you use a chocolate cake mix, you might need a bit more water. Naturally, you can stir in some chocolate chips or nuts. If you use a spice mix, extra vanilla extract and cinnamon won't hurt.

Whether you use your own frosting or canned, you can either top the cookies with it or put it between two cookies for a sandwich cookie. Don't forget the colored sprinkles, coconut, etc. to make them artistically your own.

It must be the cold weather and it is turning my mind to anything that involves turning on the oven!

No comments: