Saturday, September 19, 2009

Quilting on the sidelines . . .

Another couple of weeks and I'm done with my seasonal costume business. It is very small-scale but I enjoy contriving saint costumes for children celebrating All Saints' Day. It is fun to make a basic tunic and drap for over the shoulder and imagine how each child will envision what saint he or she will say it is going to be. I also made some definite costumes like St. Joseph and his coat of many colors. I came up with a Sacred Heart costume with a white tunic, red drap over the shoulder and an appliqued Sacred Heart on the chest. No doubt about that costume. I even figured out a couple of Juan Diego costumes complete with our Lady of Guadeloupe appliqued on the tilma.

My major costume adventure was one for my nineteen year old daughter! I chose a pattern company that is kown for it's, well SIIMPLICITY - not to mention the company name, you know! This was a terror of a pattern and I spent more time reading it than it took me to finish that tome, Gone With the Wind. The outfit is comprised of a full, cream-colored skirt, matching, lacy blouse, blue overskirt, blue bodice (with boning!), a soft, plaid shawl and matching hat. She is calling it a merchant's daughter. Having put in a week and over 15 yards of fabric, I'm guessing it is a rather well off merchant's daughter!

I'm anxious to get back to quilting, again. I like making my own rules and quilts don't have zippers!

No comments: