Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sneaking in the vegetables . . .

We like homemade Macaroni and Cheese at our house but I don't make it too often as it requires a good amount of cheese. With some experimenting, I've managed to cut down the calories just a bit which is always an improvement. When I make the sauce for the dish, I had in half a head of steamed and pureed cauliflower! No one can tell and it seems to enhance the taste. I also use sharp cheddar as it gives a fuller taste with less cheese. Believe it or not, the dish turns out creamier than the usual way and knowing their are a few less calories tempts even me to have, perhaps, an extra spoonful.

I imagine that I am not the first to think of this so there are probably an abundance of similar recipes on-line. Anyone interested in my version, let me know.

I've also been known to 'hide' tomatoes or carrots in smoothies, too. One eats at my house at their own risk! :-)

No comments: