Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chinese Chicken Soup!

I needed a quick meal for dinner last night. I didn't have time to make an Asian soup from conception to reception so scoured the freezer for possibilities. I came across a container of chicken broth I had frozen for a lazy day and decided this was that day. Usually, I braise the chicken in Chinese mushrooms, garlic, and fresh ginger . . . but didn't have time. I decided to invent dinner and if it worked, yes, I made you all Chinese Chicken Soup! If it didn't, it would still be good and the family would figure I was creating in the kitchen, again.

Given the time frame, I put the lump of frozen broth, garlic, and ginger in my big soup pot. I turned on the heat and let all the flavors meld. I added soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chicken bullion. I tasted it and it tasted almost like my usual rendition. I excavated a bag of stir fry vegetables from the recesses of the freezer and discovered a package of Chinese dry noodles in the cupboard. A couple of pieces of boneless chicken showed up in my search. I put them in a frying pan and browned them well on both side. I added some Sherry to bring up the tasty brown surface from the pan, chopped the chicken and added it to the pot. In went the stir fry vegetables. When they were warmed through, I put in the Chinese noodles (you could use regular spaghetti, too) and stirred the contents of the pot until the broth came back to a boil. I simmered it just long enough to cook the noodles, added some chili flakes and served. Got rave reviews, too!

We are trying to live out of the cupboard until payday so I guess my first attempt was successful. It seems that whenever I don't have an ingredient for a specific recipe, I head over to the grocery store and always come back with more than I went to buy. Besides, finding substitutes makes the 'out of the cupboard' adventure all the more fun.

No comments: