Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth from the German Side!

The German in 4th of July

From Stephen Block’s Newsletter - subscribe - it’s great!

http://www.kitchenproject.com/GermanGoodies/

Did you have a Von Steuben in your Life?

As you know in my newsletters I don’t always get my grammar right, misspell words, make incomplete sentences, and have links going to the wrong page or nowhere. I DO apologize, and thank all of you that write to correct me.

When I think of 4th of July, besides the rocket’s red glare et al, I think of the discipline it takes to achieve anything, even what I have done to date. I think about my German upbringing and the fireworks that sometimes ensued trying to get my naturally scattered mind and easy going personality to stick with it! I am frankly surprised I am still alive. Thank you to my folks and grandparents!

Someone recently said this quote,

"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

That was the way with General Washington’s "slow gazelle" army in the early days of the revolution. The rag tag band of farmers with guns that had only shot animals needed someone to help them be an army. The answer came in an officer from one of the greatest armies in the world back then the respected and feared German(Prussian) army of Frederick the Great, his name was Von Steuben (Fredrich Wilhelm).

General Von Steuben used efficient systematic tactics to train General Washinton’s young army, teaching a few to properly soldier, be disciplined and set up an orderly camp using proper sanitation. When they were trained Von Steuben sent those out as officers to train more and so on. Soon the whole band was a functioning army that could be faster that the "British Lion" .

When you think of the country this day, give thanks for your German roots and the Von Steubens in your life that helped you run fast!

Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!

No comments: