Sunday, June 10, 2012

Return from College . . .


When we drove our daughter to college almost four years ago, it went through my mind that we would have to tote all her belongings back again when she graduated. I sighed because it is always a project packing and moving for any situation. What I didn't consider was the fact that what she initially took down to college would expand and grow over the four years! She took up cooking so added pots, pans, mixers, baking pans, and bottles and bottles of spices. She had items leftover from numerous projects. She added more media needs for her classes. New clothing came into her closet but old stuff didn't aways get disposed of promptly.

Yesterday, we discovered this in person as my daughter came home from college for good. She called several times during the week to bemoan the fact that it just wasn't going to all fit. I didn't take it seriously as she was finishing finals and a bit down at leaving school. We got there and . . . it was an impressive stack of boxes . . . and boxes . . . and boxes of stuff. Fortunately, I am an expert at puzzles and that is what packing the van entailed, fitting everything into spaces. I was almost conquered with the three boxes of clothing but quickly unpacke them and filled in the 'cracks' between the rest of the stuff. I made it fit!

It will be a few days before my daughter can reach her bed without dodging around boxes of as yet still packed items but I have hopes and already declared that it has been moved to her room and is no longer my problem - just keep the door shut when company is over!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: