Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pizza Night!


Trying to keep within the budget, we went through the refrigerator and found cheese and a bit of bacon and salami so it was definitely a sign that pizza should be on the menu tonight. I was also inspired by a cookbook my husband brought home from the library.

According to the book, if you heat up a baking stone at 500 degrees and place it directly under the broiler, the pizza will bake up quickly and taste like a gourmet treat. It did! The crust was crisp and slightly charred but in a good way. The toppings melted and the bacon cooked almost crisp.

My husband taught himself to bake when he was a bachelor so acquired some specialty items for the kitchen that I gladly took over when we married. The baking stone was one of those items. As you can see from the picture, the baking stone has seen a lot of baking in it's time.

My two children, currently residing at home, must have liked the pizza as they asked for a second one each. I didn't get my pizza until the very last but I think the wait was worth it as I had really gotten the hang of baking them under the broiler by then.

It's great the way few ingredients and a little work can produce a fun meal for little cost other than the effort.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: