Sunday, April 8, 2012

More Things to do with Leftover Mashed Potatoes . . .

 After having both my daughters home for three weeks, my cooking amounts increased and I keep forgetting to reduce servings now that one of them in back at school.

Yesterday, I ended up with about three cups of leftover mashed potatoes and didn't want to waste them although the dog was trying to send brain messages to me that she would gladly see to their disposal.

Being Easter, we went traditional but the daughter still at home does not like sweet potatoes and that was what was on the menu. I remembered the leftover white potatoes and decided to turn them into potato cakes. They ended up being more enjoyed than the rest of the meal!

My Last-Minute Recipe for Potato CakesAbout 3 cups of cold, mashed potatoes
2 eggs
1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat over to 375 degrees.

Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Use your hands because I won't tell!

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I used an ice cream scoop to divide the mixture into even mounds directly on parchment paper.

Freshly grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese
Granulated onion
Granulated garlic

Grate about a tablepoon of your chose cheese on top of each mound of potato. Dust with the onion and garlic. With the bottom of a glass, press down to about 1/2-inch thick.

Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until starting to get golden around the edges.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: