Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Using leftover mashed potatoes . . .

For my daughter's birthday, she wanted beef with garlic/onion mashed potatoes. I had about two and a half cups of the potatoes leftover and wondered what I could do with them. I don't like to waste food but leftover potatoes . . .

I realized that since they were already flavored and spiced, I could easily fake out some potato soup! I reheated the mashed potatoes in a large pot. I added about four cups of milk. I kept it on a gentle simmer and tasted it for flavor. Since the original potatoes had bacon, onion, and garlic in them, I just needed to add some more black pepper, some garlic powder, and a generous dash of ground caraway. Simmering on low for about 30 minutes reduced the liquid and thickened the soup nicely. Since they had been mashed not whipped potatoes, there was plenty of texture to the soup. I did add 1/2 cup of frozen corn to the soup.

I was happy how it turned out. My husband immediately laid claim to the leftovers for his work lunch and those pesky leftovers have now left the house!

You could also serve the soup with a grating of cheddar and minced parsley, too. Garlic bread goes great with this! You could also put out a basket of warmed tortilla chips for crumbling over or dipping in the soup.

No comments: