Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dinner can taste complicated!

I have several friends who are constantly amazed that I cook dinner every night even when my husband isn't home for it. Uh, the children still need a good meal and my husband enjoys leftovers for his lunch. I'm also told I fuss too much and should just throw something together and have done with it. Bettter yet, just get take out to have time for myself.

First of all, I like to cook and provide for the family. Second, take out food has too many preservatives and such that my family doesn't need to eat. Third, is the cost. What I spend on the grocery budget, I can't use for outings with the children and such. Fourth, and many females take offense at my thinking on this, it is my job!

With that in mind, I'm sharing a recipe for a favorite dinner my children enjoy. And, it tastes even better warmed up the next day . . . as in my husband's lunch for work! A win/win situation.

Garlic Pepper Sausage

1 1/2 - 2 pounds of your favorite sausage (bratwurst, Hillshire - not the breakfast type)
3 green and/or red bell peppers, sliced
8 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
1 teaspoon chili flakes
Olive oil

Slice the sausage into diagonal 1/2-inch slices. Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a large frying pan and add the sausage. Stir and cook until they are browned around the edges. Turn down the heat a bit, add the garlic, cover, and simmer until the garlic browns and softens. Put in the chili flakes and the bell pepper slices and cook and stir another 5-8 minutes until the pepper is barely tender.

Serve over hot, Jasmine rice or your favorite rice.

It is an attractive dish and people will think you fussed more than you did!

No comments: